Quality Assurance Engineer II
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. is a space robotics company that seeks to make space accessible to the world. The company’s suite of lunar landers delivers payloads to the Moon for companies, governments, universities, non-profits, and individuals. The company is also developing advanced space robotics capabilities such as terrain relative navigation, mobile robotics for lunar surface operations, and reliable computing systems for mission-critical applications. Originally spun out of Carnegie Mellon University in 2007, Astrobotic is pioneering affordable planetary access that promises to spark a new era of exploration, science, tourism, resource utilization, and mining. Astrobotic’s headquarters is in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, with a second location in Mojave, California.
Working with a team of engineers and developers on test requirements, manufacturing process and product, and test equipment, you will be responsible for supporting the project development lifecycle from Planning, Requirements Design, Built, Test, and Delivery phases of product that comply with Astrobotic’s Quality System, industry standards, and customer specific requirements. You will be responsible to drive quality best practices throughout the organization by maintaining a corporate culture that emphasizes accountability, discipline, and attention to detail at all levels. Quality Engineers will be hands-on, regularly interact with multiple technical disciplines, and ultimately ensure that product success. The Quality Assurance Engineer II works with quality group and cross organizational departments to continually improve the quality management system, develop and verify compliance to ISO9001/AS9100 procedures, plan, schedule and perform quality system audits, and measure and analyze audit and QMS data.
Successful applicants will need to be highly adaptive and able to respond to ever-changing priorities amongst multiple projects at various stages of development. You must have a passion for solving complex problems and providing operable solutions; occasionally acting with minimal direction and on your own initiative; and be adaptable as you will work on a variety of applications and systems.
- Provide QMS training and guidance to Astrobotic management and department personnel to build, implement, and improve QMS policy, processes, procedures, and systems that meet Astrobotic business objectives and assure compliance to customer requirements and quality industry standards.
- Support quality program-specific requirements, including but not limited to, managing deviations, waivers, and change management actions, nonconformances (NCRs), vendor quality management, lead quality reporting per contract requirements, oversee and lead failure analysis and supporting corrective actions.
- Collaborate with teams on quality, risk management, safety, and reliability.
- Monitor quality specifications, processes, and engineering best practices to ensure mission success.
- Participate in the continuous improvement by developing appropriate process monitoring and measurement techniques, and use metrics, data, and feedback from teams.
- Assess Astrobotic business processes, systems, and products through internal auditing to assure compliance to customer requirements, Astrobotic procedures and policies, and ISO 9001/AS9100 standards.
- Collaborate with project teams to devise and implement methods and procedures for assembling and integrating products in addition to inspecting, testing, and validating system requirements.
- Coordinate with engineering teams to document, and implement part/material qualification plans, including the identification and use of inspection tools.
- Lead failure analysis process and collaborate with project teams to assess the impact and determine root cause and corrective actions for products or materials that do not meet required standards and specifications.
- Support and champion quality system processes that support products in development and production environments as well as supporting business processes.
- Engages in product development activities to ensure continued compliance with internal procedures, and applicable regulatory and international standards.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Five (5) or more years of experience in an engineering, research and development, or manufacturing environment.
- B.S. technical degree in a related engineering or science field from an accredited 4-year college or university
- Experience with AS9100 or ISO9001 Quality Management System and/or related quality systems and programs
- Ability to read and interpret technical drawings and schematics, parts lists, specifications, instructions, and test procedures.
- Experience working among small, highly technical teams.
- Effective teamwork, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Demonstrate analytical and strong problem-solving skills.
- Ability to support occasional travel (10%) to domestic locations.
Desired Skills & Qualifications:
- Experience with both hardware and software products is a plus.
- Leading the development of quality processes and procedures
- Self-motivated and capable of working at a high technical level with minimal supervision.
- Relevant experience in transitioning a product from development, through production.
- Experience with electrical and mechanical parts specifications and assemblies.
- Proficiency in documenting plans, procedures, and results for presenting to a technical audience.
- Experience performing electromechanical, physical, and visual inspection of raw materials, components, and sub-assemblies per Inspection Plans, drawings, and other specification requirements.
The base salary range represents the low and high end of the anticipated salary range for this position. The actual base salary offered for this position will depend on numerous factors including individual performance, business objectives, and the candidates professional experience. Base salary is just one component of Astrobotic’s competitive total rewards strategy.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.