Astrobotic Technology, Inc. is a space robotics company that seeks to make space accessible to the world. The company’s suite of lunar landers delivers payloads to the Moon for companies, governments, universities, non-profits, and individuals. The company is also developing advanced space robotics capabilities such as terrain relative navigation, mobile robotics for lunar surface operations, and reliable computing systems for mission-critical applications. Originally spun out of Carnegie Mellon University in 2007, Astrobotic is pioneering affordable planetary access that promises to spark a new era of exploration, science, tourism, resource utilization, and mining. Astrobotic’s headquarters is in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, with a second location in Mojave, California.
Astrobotic wants you to be a critical contributor to the design, test, and integration of the propulsion systems for Astrobotic's lunar lander product lines. You will be responsible for working directly on the design and analysis of the propulsion systems, from initial component sizing to system layout and modeling through to supporting mission operations. You will regularly report to the Propulsion Lead on progress.
- Design spacecraft feed systems
- Performance modeling using a combination of analytical tools and methods
- Size components (engines, tanks, valves, tubing, etc.) to meet mission requirements
- Risk assessment and mitigation planning
- Perform component and system trade studies through analysis, testing and integration
- Develop propulsion test plans, conduct the testing, and post-process the results
- Provide real time mission operations support
- Write and present technical reports
- Coordinate between technical partners, suppliers, and other subsystems to assess design progress, schedule, and risks
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- B.S. in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering
- 2+ years of relevant experience in spacecraft propulsion system or component development
- Experience designing and analyzing high-pressure fluid and/or pneumatic systems
- Proven capability to develop conceptual designs, perform trade studies, and down select to a design baseline
- Proficient in CAD (SolidWorks preferred) and lifecycle management tools
- Adaptable to a startup environment, able to self-start with minimal guidance
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment with changing needs and requirements
Desired Skills & Qualifications:
- M.S. in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering
- 5+ years of relevant experience in spacecraft propulsion system or component development
- Experience with hypergolic liquid bipropellant engine systems
- Experience with transient flow analysis (Easy5 preferred)
- Knowledge of propellant mixing, temperature control and combustion chemistry
- Understanding of pressure vessel specifications and requirements
- Knowledge of Range Safety and Ground Safety requirements
- Experience with Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD, ANSYS Fluent preferred)
- Knowledge of scripting languages, such as Fortran or Matlab
The base salary range represents the low and high end of the anticipated salary range for this position. The actual base salary offered for this position will depend on numerous factors including individual performance, business objectives, and the candidates professional experience. Base salary is just one component of Astrobotic’s competitive total rewards strategy.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.