Senior Perception Software Engineer
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. is a space robotics company that seeks to make space accessible to the world. The company’s suite of lunar landers delivers payloads to the Moon for companies, governments, universities, non-profits, and individuals. The company is also developing advanced space robotics capabilities such as terrain relative navigation, mobile robotics for lunar surface operations, and reliable computing systems for mission-critical applications. Originally spun out of Carnegie Mellon University in 2007, Astrobotic is pioneering affordable planetary access that promises to spark a new era of exploration, science, tourism, resource utilization, and mining. Astrobotic’s headquarters is in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, with a second location in Mojave, California.
Astrobotic’s Robotics & Surface Systems, is seeking a Perception Software Engineer to join our effort to develop solutions for space robotics, planetary landing, and satellite sensing applications. In this role you will contribute to designing, implementing, testing, and maintaining applications and algorithms. You will collaborate with world renowned experts in perception, robotics and space applications across NASA, industry, and university centers and gain experience with cutting edge methods as you move them from the lab to real use cases.
Previous experience working in the space industry or specialized knowledge of the space specific aspects of problems is not required though it can help. We are especially interested if you have demonstrated solid fundamentals and previous success in areas such as computer vision, signal processing, compilers, applied deep learning, and/or related fields. We value highly motivated and engaged coworkers who naturally challenge themselves and add new skills and improve existing ones over time.
Robotics & Surface Systems is a collaborative working environment where each member of the team has a high degree of freedom, responsibility, and expectations. We’re building solutions to challenging technical problems with the goal of making space more accessible to the world. Astrobotic has developed industry-leading expertise in the areas of autonomous precision landing and hazard detection, real-time rendering with hardware ray tracing, photogrammetry and navigation-grade terrain modeling, and high-performance computing to name a few. The team has a diverse range of backgrounds and skills and the environment is both challenging and supportive.
- Solving problems with software in various areas of robotics
- Writing understandable software components and tests
- Maintaining software throughout the development lifecycle
- Working cross-functionally with other engineers and teams across the organization
- Contributing to both early-stage R&D and more rigorous flight programs
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- B.S. in Electrical or Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Robotics, Mathematics or a related field, or equivalent proficiency
- 5+ years of relevant experience
- Recent experience programming in C++, C and continued interest in developing software
- Background in lidar or vision data processing, computer vision algorithms, and robotic state estimation
- Experience with ICP, SLAM, Kalman filters
- Experience with statistics and probabilistic robotics algorithms
- Working knowledge of common data structures and algorithms
- Ability to work and make decisions independently given reasonable direction and support
- Proactive communication habits
Desired Skills & Qualifications:
- Background in robotic state estimation, guidance, or control systems, sensor processing
- Python experience for prototyping, scripting, and analysis
- Experience with Matlab
- Experience designing software systems
- Experience with camera calibration
- Deep technical knowledge in one or more of the following areas: robotics, embedded systems, computer vision, LiDAR, deep learning, guidance navigation and control
- Relevant publications or targeted experiences
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Electrical or Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Robotics, Mathematics or a related field, or equivalent proficiency
The base salary range represents the low and high end of the anticipated salary range for this position. The actual base salary offered for this position will depend on numerous factors including individual performance, business objectives, and the candidates professional experience. Base salary is just one component of Astrobotic’s competitive total rewards strategy.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.