Senior Electrical Engineer - Robotics & Surface Systems
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. is a space robotics company that seeks to make space accessible to the world. The company’s suite of lunar landers delivers payloads to the Moon for companies, governments, universities, non-profits, and individuals. The company is also developing advanced space robotics capabilities such as terrain relative navigation, mobile robotics for lunar surface operations, and reliable computing systems for mission-critical applications. Originally spun out of Carnegie Mellon University in 2007, Astrobotic is pioneering affordable planetary access that promises to spark a new era of exploration, science, tourism, resource utilization, and mining. Astrobotic’s headquarters is in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, with a second location in Mojave, California.
Astrobotic’s Lunar Surface Systems Department is seeking an electrical engineer to advance our rover development effort and expand our portfolio of cutting-edge solutions in space. The Lunar Surface Systems Department fosters a collaborative working environment with high degrees of freedom, responsibility, and expectations. We highly value teamwork. We’re building novel solutions to challenging technical problems with the goal of making space more accessible to the world as a commercial platform. The company was recently selected by NASA as a premier organization to deliver American payloads to the Moon and leads the world in international payload sales. Astrobotic has received 30+ NASA contracts to date in areas such as mobile robotics, multi-rover exploration, lunar cave exploration, lunar mining, remote non-geometric terrain sensing, planetary drones, autonomous precision landing, and high-performance computing.
· Design and integrate lunar systems electronics (rovers, sensors suite, power delivery system)
· Determine and develop best technical approach to satisfy design requirements for lunar systems electronics
· Generate electrical drawings, system designs and engineering documentation for rover design to facilitate internal and external design reviews
· Own the electrical design, development and documentation of rover electronics sub-modules
· Provide input for processes, specifications and procedures to support the design of the avionics.
· Prepare power budgets and interface control documents for rover electronics.
· EMC testing and implementation of mitigations at module and system level.
Required skills and Qualifications
· 8+ years of experience designing, developing and testing hardware in robotics, aerospace and energy industry
· Bachelor degree or equivalent in Electrical engineering, computer science or related discipline from accredited college or equivalent experience
· Proficient with circuit simulation and mixed analog/digital circuits
· Experience in schematic capture and PCB layout
· Proficient with test equipment (DMM, oscilloscope, power supplies, power meters etc.)
· Must be able to effectively communicate with peers, customers and management
· Highly interpersonal skillset and demonstrated behavior of thriving in a strong cross-functional environment
Desired skills and Qualifications
· Experience decomposing requirements
· Experience / Interest with AC circuits (3-phase) is a plus
· Experience / Interest with inverter design is a plus
· Experience / Interest with battery /solar powered systems is a plus
· Knowledge of C/C++ programming language
· Knowledge of Linux
· Experience in an Agile work environment
· Experience with MIL-STD-461 or similar
· Experience with Altium
· Knowledge of developing test procedures for electronics
The base salary range represents the low and high end of the anticipated salary range for this position. The actual base salary offered for this position will depend on numerous factors including individual performance, business objectives, and the candidates professional experience. Base salary is just one component of Astrobotic’s competitive total rewards strategy.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Applicants should be prepared to submit a writing sample, references, and demonstrate a significant background in space missions.
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.