Senior Avionics Engineer- Landers & Spacecraft
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. is a space robotics company that seeks to make space accessible to the world. The company’s suite of lunar landers delivers payloads to the Moon for companies, governments, universities, non-profits, and individuals. The company is also developing advanced space robotics capabilities such as terrain relative navigation, mobile robotics for lunar surface operations, and reliable computing systems for mission-critical applications. Originally spun out of Carnegie Mellon University in 2007, Astrobotic is pioneering affordable planetary access that promises to spark a new era of exploration, science, tourism, resource utilization, and mining. Astrobotic’s headquarters is in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, with a second location in Mojave, California.
Astrobotic Technology is seeking a Senior Electrical Engineer to serve as the lead engineer to our Avionics subsystem team. You will be responsible for assisting in the technical aspects of design, fabrication, and testing of hardware avionics or electronics components for various spacecraft subsystems. Experience in embedded system, FPGAs, and fast prototyping avionics systems is required. Technical reporting skills needed for delivering reports and presentations at the aerospace industry level.
- The development of flight hardware avionics, including computing, signal conditioning, control electronics, filtering, data acquisition, and command & data handling (C&DH)
- Providing technical and programmatic guidance to internal avionics team members (employees, subcontractors, consultants) and partner support personnel
- Performing trade studies for the electrical and avionics systems
- Analyzing and verifying different operating modes of the spacecraft by designing, fabricating, and testing integrated avionics systems
- Utilizing partners and suppliers to identify and implement cost-effective, technically optimal solutions
- Researching and selecting components from various external vendors by verifying that the components meet the mission needs
- Testing of fabricated PCBs or integrated avionics systems
- Developing test scripts or simulations for testing integrated systems
- Participating in environmental tests of engineering design units
- Participating in qualification tests of flight design units
- Communicating payload technical needs with avionics and power systems
- Delivering technical reports of tests and advancements in avionics and power systems
- Performing in-the-loop tests for selected hardware components
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Systems engineering (SE) experience for controlling requirements, risks, and integration flow
- Project management (PM) experience for managing schedule of development and avionics resources.
- Schematic and board design proficiency using software like Altium, Eagle, OrCAD, or similar
- Rapid prototype development skills
- Strong debugging skills
- Capable of programming embedded systems
- Capable of programming FPGAs, microcontrollers, computer processors, graphic processors, or similar
- Digital, analog, and signal conditioning design skills
- Extensive knowledge in integrated systems technologies
- Ability to develop modeling tests for power or avionics systems
- Capable of utilizing computer aided design (CAD) tools to develop avionics systems
- Extensive experience of NASA-STD 8739, AIAA-S122-2007, MIL-HDBK-454B, or similar
- Extensive experience of NASA-STD 4001 and NASA-STD 4003 or similar
- Strong leadership skills
- Good communication and technical writing skills
- Highly proficient with MSOffice tools
- Basic systems engineering management skills
- Minimum 8 years of experience in electronics hardware development
- B.S. in Electrical or Computer Engineering
Desired Skills & Qualifications:
- Experience in developing spacecraft electronics systems for a Class D unmanned spacecraft or similar
- Knowledgeable of Range Safety and Ground Safety electronics compliance
- Capable of developing flight software for integrated systems
- Knowledge of space environmental tests
- Knowledge of CPU design
- Knowledge of propulsion driver controller
- Knowledge of modeling power system components
- Experience with testing for MIL-STD 461F or similar
- Ability to program and analyze in engineering tools like MATLAB
- M.S. in Electrical or Computer Engineering
Salary Range: $100,000 - $140,000
The base salary range represents the low and high end of the anticipated salary range for this position. The actual base salary offered for this position will depend on numerous factors including individual performance, business objectives, and the candidates professional experience. Base salary is just one component of Astrobotic’s competitive total rewards strategy.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.