Mechanical Integration & Test Engineer
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. is a space robotics company that seeks to make space accessible to the world. The company’s suite of lunar landers delivers payloads to the Moon for companies, governments, universities, non-profits, and individuals. The company is also developing advanced space robotics capabilities such as terrain relative navigation, mobile robotics for lunar surface operations, and reliable computing systems for mission-critical applications. Originally spun out of Carnegie Mellon University in 2007, Astrobotic is pioneering affordable planetary access that promises to spark a new era of exploration, science, tourism, resource utilization, and mining. Astrobotic’s headquarters is in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, with a second location in Mojave, California.
Astrobotic Technology wants you to support the integration and testing of its Lunar Landers. You will be responsible for the planning, documentation, & execution of spacecraft level integration and test activities. Implement the full engineering development cycle, and regularly report to the Mechanical I&T Lead on progress.
Note: This position may be filled at multiple levels, including I, II, Senior, Principal, etc. depending on the candidate’s experience.
- Develop planning, procedures, and visual flows for the integration of subsystem components and assemblies to the spacecraft.
- Support the integration and test of various flight and non-flight hardware including spacecraft components and subsystems, propulsion systems.
- Support I&T anomaly investigations and nonconformance dispositions.
- Support design and development of ground support equipment, fixtures, and assembly aids
- Identify and procure ground support equipment, machinery, and consumables necessary to support integration activities.
- Support on-site and off-site test activities including fit checks, mass properties, vibration, acoustic, and thermal vacuum testing.
- Work in an integrated team including daily interactions with technicians, engineers, and leadership across our propulsion, thermal, mechanisms, and structural teams.
- Ensure safety of personnel, equipment, and hardware during testing
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- B.S. in Mechanical, Aerospace or Industrial Engineering
- Relevant integration and assembly experience in a manufacturing environment
- Experience with technical writing, documentation, and planning
- Familiar with assembly and integration of complex mechanical and fluid systems
- Proficient in CAD (SolidWorks preferred) and lifecycle management tools
- Safety oriented with a strong attention to detail
- Very strong communication, teamwork, and organizational skills
- Adaptable to startup environment, able to self-start with minimal guidance
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment with changing needs and requirements
Desired Skills & Qualifications:
- M.S. in Mechanical, Aerospace or Industrial Engineering
- 5+ years of experience integrating or testing complex electro-mechanical or fluid systems
- Prior experience integration and test processes for hardware and systems for aircraft, spacecraft or launch vehicles
- Experience with high pressure fluid and pneumatic pressure systems, high pressure fluids testing and related ground support equipment
- Experience with LabView and data acquisition systems
- Experience with commercial manufacturing and ERP software
- Experience with environmental testing, ground and test systems, and automated test generation software
- Integration or testing experience in a 100K or ISO8 class cleanroom environment.
The base salary range represents the low and high end of the anticipated salary range for this position. The actual base salary offered for this position will depend on numerous factors including individual performance, business objectives, and the candidates professional experience. Base salary is just one component of Astrobotic’s competitive total rewards strategy.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.