Lead Systems Engineer - Advanced Development Programs
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. is a space robotics company that seeks to make space accessible to the world. The company’s suite of lunar landers delivers payloads to the Moon for companies, governments, universities, non-profits, and individuals. The company is also developing advanced space robotics capabilities such as terrain relative navigation, mobile robotics for lunar surface operations, and reliable computing systems for mission-critical applications. Originally spun out of Carnegie Mellon University in 2007, Astrobotic is pioneering affordable planetary access that promises to spark a new era of exploration, science, tourism, resource utilization, and mining. Astrobotic’s headquarters is in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, with a second location in Mojave, California.
Astrobotic Technology is seeking a Lead Systems Engineer to support the technical development of the company’s lunar landers and space systems within our dedicated Advanced Programs Group. This position will support the development process and be a source of technical guidance to the development team. This position reports to the L&S Systems Engineering & Flight Operations Manager. An ideal candidate for this role would be capable of leading the concept development for the company’s Bid & Proposal and early program kickoff phase efforts.
- Design development for a lunar lander and/or other space-based system.
- Developing the concept of operations, mission and system requirements, design configuration, technical budgets, launch vehicle requirements, fault management, interface control, V&V planning, and technical risk and mitigation plan identification.
- Provide technical guidance and direction to the system and subsystem engineering teams.
- Work side-by-side with the systems engineering team, Mission Director, and key partners and customers.
- Support the technical formulation of interface definition, integration plans, operation plans for partner and/or payload organizations.
- Serve as a primary point of contact between the partner and/or payload engineers.
- Support technical proposals for new business and mission opportunities.
- Prepare and deliver technical documentation and reports.
- Lead technical presentations and/or demonstrations.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Demonstrated experience in multiple of the following areas: systems engineering, structure/thermal design and analysis, avionics systems, power systems, propulsion system, communication systems, flight software, mission management, S&MA, trajectory analysis, launch vehicle constraints, risk management, and system configuration management.
- Strong understanding of the space and launch vehicle mission environments.
- BS degree in Aerospace Engineering, Systems Engineering or other related fields.
- Minimum 10 years of relevant space mission experience. Advanced degrees may additionally be considered in lieu of professional experience.
Desired Skills & Qualifications:
- Experience developing space systems, from feasibility studies through flight and mission operations.
- Demonstrated experience leading engineering teams.
- Knowledge of Human-rated space systems.
- Knowledgeable of System V&V planning.
- Knowledgeable of Range Safety compliance.
- Knowledgeable of EMI/EMC specifications and verification methods.
- Knowledgeable of Model Based Systems Engineering.
- Mission Operations experience with space systems or similar.
The base salary range represents the low and high end of the anticipated salary range for this position. The actual base salary offered for this position will depend on numerous factors including individual performance, business objectives, and the candidates professional experience. Base salary is just one component of Astrobotic’s competitive total rewards strategy.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.