Project Manager I/II- Robotics & Surface Systems
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. is a space robotics company that seeks to make space accessible to the world. The company’s suite of lunar landers delivers payloads to the Moon for companies, governments, universities, non-profits, and individuals. The company is also developing advanced space robotics capabilities such as terrain relative navigation, mobile robotics for lunar surface operations, and reliable computing systems for mission-critical applications. Originally spun out of Carnegie Mellon University in 2007, Astrobotic is pioneering affordable planetary access that promises to spark a new era of exploration, science, tourism, resource utilization, and mining. Astrobotic’s headquarters is in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, with a second location in Mojave, California.
The Robotics & Surface Systems Department fosters a collaborative working environment with high degrees of freedom, responsibility, and expectations. We highly value teamwork and this role requires someone who innately values interpersonal skills. We’re building novel solutions to challenging technical problems with the goal of making space more accessible to the world as a commercial platform. The company was recently selected by NASA as a premier organization to deliver American payloads to the Moon and leads the world in international payload sales. Astrobotic has received 30+ NASA contracts to date in areas such as mobile robotics, multi-rover exploration, lunar power infrastructure, lunar cave exploration, lunar mining, remote non-geometric terrain sensing, planetary drones, autonomous precision landing, and high-performance computing.
Astrobotic’s Robotics & Surface Systems Department is seeking a technical project manager to advance our planetary rover and lunar power systems product lines and expand our portfolio of cutting-edge solutions in space. This candidate will track and manage the progress of a portfolio of lunar surface technologies in development at Astrobotic, one of which will fly to the Moon in late 2026. The technology in development span a breadth of mission applications with a focus on development of a sustainable lunar infrastructure.
You will be responsible for creating schedules across technology developments and lunar flight missions, working closely with engineering leads to track and manage progress. You will communicate with vendors, manufacturers, and subcontractors to create and manage their associated schedules, budgets and statements of work; lead the creation of major internal design review documentation; create and present monthly and quarterly technical reports, contribute to research and sales proposals, implement the full product development cycle, and regularly report to the project management manager. On occasion, you will also contribute to and lead prime contractor and subcontractor agreements.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Strong proficiency creating and managing development projects using MS Project, Smartsheets or similar planning tools
- Strong verbal and interpersonal skills and capacity to lead technical meetings with team members and partners
- Demonstrated success leading small technical teams or serving as a Principal Investigator in a fast paced environment
- Ability to identify and mitigate programmatic challenges
- 3-5 years of experience managing hardware or software development projects in a professional setting
- Highly organized with a tenacious attention to detail. Adept at managing multiple concurrent projects with staggered deliverables and reporting cycles
- Superb writing skills and ability to generate technical progress reports and proposals
- Demonstrated history of creating technical statements of work for vendors, manufacturers, and subcontractors
Desired Skills & Qualifications:
- B.S. in engineering or a related discipline
- Experience managing the full life cycle of product development
- Experience working within an agile development framework
- Experience leading hardware and systems development schedules for space applications
- Experience in team collaboration tools (Confluence/Jira)
- Experience in risk management
- Experience tracking project expenses and aligning them with allocated budgets
- Experience creating and leading research and sales proposals
- Experience negotiating government and subcontractor agreements
The base salary range represents the low and high end of the anticipated salary range for this position. The actual base salary offered for this position will depend on numerous factors including individual performance, business objectives, and the candidates professional experience. Base salary is just one component of Astrobotic’s competitive total rewards strategy.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.