Lead Electrical Integration & Test Engineer
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. is a space robotics company that seeks to make space accessible to the world. The company’s suite of lunar landers delivers payloads to the Moon for companies, governments, universities, non-profits, and individuals. The company is also developing advanced space robotics capabilities such as terrain relative navigation, mobile robotics for lunar surface operations, and reliable computing systems for mission-critical applications. Originally spun out of Carnegie Mellon University in 2007, Astrobotic is pioneering affordable planetary access that promises to spark a new era of exploration, science, tourism, resource utilization, and mining. Astrobotic’s headquarters is in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, with a second location in Mojave, California.
Astrobotic's Landers and Spacecraft dept is seeking a highly skilled and experienced Lead Electrical Integration and Test Engineer to join our dynamic team.
Note: This position may be filled at multiple levels, including I, II, Senior, Principal, etc. depending on the candidate’s experience.
- Lead the daily integration and test of various flight and non-flight electrical systems and avionics hardware including component-level evaluation, engineering and flight model build, board, and box level test.
- Delegate and oversee the work of a small team of engineers, coordinating efforts to ensure schedule and budget success.
- Develop and execute comprehensive procedures that verify all physical and functional subsystem/payload/spacecraft interface requirements. Develop and execute custom test scripts.
- Review and establish viability of I&T program against mission schedule and system specification.
- Develop test objectives and plans, develop test procedures, execute testing, and document the findings. Implement and oversee the use of automation tools and techniques to enhance testing efficiency and accuracy.
- Support and troubleshoot the hardware/software configuration/baseline issues during integration and installation phases. Document and pursue root cause of discrepancies found with hardware.
- Develop and collect test metrics for contribution to the preparation of test documentation and test readiness review presentations.
- Ensure safety of equipment and personnel during the integration process.
- Report to the Manager of Integration and Test. Work closely with the Systems Engineers, Electrical Design, Mechanical Engineers, and other subsystem leads to ensure I&T is conducted to plan and successfully delivers a fully certified spacecraft for flight.
- Support on-site and off-site tests. Work with outside vendors to define interface needs and requirements.
- Drive continuous improvement initiatives in the integration and testing processes to enhance overall efficiency and effectiveness.
- Hands on experience integrating and testing electrical and avionics systems. Experience with HIL testing.
- Strong technical knowledge and experience in electromechanical systems, including electrical and mechanical components, sensors, actuators, and control systems.
- Knowledge of the spaceflight electronic design and development process. Deep understanding of complex electronic systems and their role in larger systems.
- Experience with integration or in production environments. Experience creating integration sequences, procedures, and methodologies to ensure a seamless integration process.
- Experience in writing, debugging, and executing test scripts and preparing test result reports.
- Experience with large scale environmental testing, such as thermal vacuum, vibration, and propulsion testing. Experience developing test support equipment.
- History working in an integrated team including daily interactions with technicians, engineers, managers, and mission directors. Ability to lead and mentor a team of electrical integration and test engineers.
- Previous collaboration with cross-functional teams, including mechanical design, avionics, harness, and systems engineering, to achieve integration and testing objectives.
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to mentor and guide junior engineers.
- Experience troubleshooting complex electrical systems.
- Familiarity with CAD software for reviewing and modifying technical drawings.
- Minimum 10 years relevant integration and test experience with complex mechanical/electrical systems.
- B.S. Electrical Engineering or related discipline.
- Experience leading an integration and test campaign for a spacecraft/satellite project.
- Experience leading a small to medium sized team of engineers.
- IPC-A-600 certification.
- Knowledge of avionics manufacturing processes, such as machining operations, harness fabrication, and inspection processes.
- Adaptable to startup environment, able to self-start with minimal guidance.
- Experience in a 100K or ISO8 class cleanroom environment.
- Experience developing infrastructure and processes for conducting integration and testing of complex systems.
- Experience writing test scripts in Python.
- Experience developing and managing complex schedules showing subsystem and system interactions and dependencies.
- Experience developing and adhering to processes within a Quality Management System, working closely with Quality Assurance and Quality Inspectors.
Note: This job description is intended to provide a general overview of the position. The responsibilities, base requirements, and desired requirements outlined above may vary depending on the specific needs of the company and the project.
The base salary range represents the low and high end of the anticipated salary range for this position. The actual base salary offered for this position will depend on numerous factors including individual performance, business objectives, and the candidates professional experience. Base salary is just one component of Astrobotic’s competitive total rewards strategy.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.